Tuesday, June 2, 2009

It has been forever

Okay, I know it has been like forever since I last posted. They were kidding when they say a baby changes everything…LOL!!! Motherhood has been a joy and I am so blessed beyond measure that mere words would not be able to articulate what God has done.

Regarding my hair, it is holding up very well. I am not sure if I can call them sisterlocks anymore because I have been a DIY’er for a while now. And I do not regret my decision at all to take on the challenge. My retightenings have been getting faster and faster, although I haven’t actually timed it because I fit it in when I can. I can just tell a difference in how much I can get done in a short amount of time.
I’m not sure if you can see in the picture that my hair is starting to get some hang time and it has thickened up, especially compared to installation. I look back and I realized I looked like a little “plucked chicken” LOL!!! And I loved every minute of it :-) In this pictures I am rocking a twist out. It's amazing that I can get this outcome just using water and twisting my hair. As far as products, I don't use anything but water on my hair. No oil at all. I wash my hair with diluted Selsun Blue and that's it. I probably need to do another ACV rinse soon, but my hair does better without all the products that are out there.

Again I will say, I wish I locked my hair a long time ago. Funny how I went from never doing the “nappy hair” thing, to loving my naps! It made me really think because recently I was visiting with family and I was spending some time with my niece who is bi-racial. She made the comment that she wished she had “white” hair and I almost fell out of my seat. But then I had to realize that I used to be the same way at her age (11 yrs old) and she has even more pressures than I had when it comes to the way she views herself, namely her hair. I just pray that I will be able to help her in her own self-awareness of what true beauty really means. Regardless of if your hair is straight or nappy.


Here are a few pictures of my little angel – Kaleb Joshua. It’s hard to believe that he will be 7 months old already. I am learning to cherish every moment, they go by so fast. He's killing me with those ears...LOL!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your little boy is sooooooo adorable...I'm lovin the ears!!!

You, my dear, look beautiful and your locs have grown so much.

Your niece reminds me of my former co-worker's granddaughter... She was biracial as well. She would continuously cry when people called her black or ask her family if they didn't like her b/c her skin was darker. I should also mention the mother's side of the family, who are white, was taking care of the child. The grandmother would always mention how she wanted to chemically straighten her hair b/c it was hard to deal with.... I tried to make her understand how important it was for this little girl to love herself and her natural hair but she just couldn't understand my point. My point is....as long as her parents and family are letting her know how beautiful she and her natural hair are, she should be ok... Besides, she's got a cool aunt to show her how beautiful natural hair is.

P.S. There's also the option of hot combing or flat ironing her hair on occasion...

The Real Nique said...

Your son is too cute and your hair is really looking good. I like that hang action! Way to go DIYer.

Free McK. said...

Cute family!

Titus 2 Thandi said...

Ahh, he's so adorable.And your hair's looking great.Hope all is well